I will stay away from typical advices available all over the internet such as drinking plenty of fluids, making sure the air you breathe in is moist enough, etc. I will list what I’ve done for myself to get over from this prolonged hacking cough syndromes. You can experiment on what works for you, and what doesn’t.
- Castor Oil Pack—Apply castor oil on cotton or woolen cloth, wrap it with saran wrap (or put it in zipper-lock bag), place the cloth on the chest, neck, and behind the neck area, then apply heating pad on top of the pad. Place the pack at least 10 minutes at a time, 3 – 5 times a day. You can place the pack on the chest and go to sleep with it. Almost immediately, your bronchial tubes will expand and you can breathe better. No other oil such as coconut oil works.
- Mix 2 Tsp of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 Tsp of Organic Raw Honey, and 1 Tsp of Cinnamon powder in hot water, make it into a half a cup, and drink the mixture, 3 -5 times a day.
- Mince raw garlic, mince raw ginger as finely as possible, mix with 1 Tsp of raw organic honey in hot water. Make it half a cup, and drink it 3 – 5 times a day. Bear in mind that this mixture smells extremely strong. I did this mixture only at nights and weekends.
- Find food-grade hydrogen peroxide. It must be food-grade as regular hydrogen peroxide is too strong for the our internal tissues. Put it in a spray bottle (buy a cheap nasal spray, dump the content out, then fill the bottle with the food-grade hydrogen peroxide). Take a deep breath first, and let the air out, then spray the hydrogen peroxide into the throat. A few pumps at a time, 3 – 5 times a day.
5. Put a few drops of food-grade hydrogen peroxide in a cool mist, and leave the mist on when you go to sleep. You can skip step 4, and breathe in the air coming out cool mist.
6. Take 7000 – 8000 mg of Vit C a day.
7. Take at least 10,000 mg of Vit D a day.
8. Rest as much as you can.
I was able to get rid of cough in 3 days with these regimens. Had I started out with these regimens from the outset, I might have gotten over from the nagging cough syndromes in a few days, but I didn’t know what I was fighting against.
Lastly, acupuncture works wonder in this case. I gave myself acupuncture treatment almost daily to fight this cold. Please visit acupuncturists near you as they should know how to augment your lung functions, while restoring your innate immune functions. They may also give you some potent Chinese herbal remedies as well.